Sunday 19 January 2014

An Anniversary of a Kind.

"Today is a special day, an anniversary of a kind". So spoke the words of one of the many beautiful songs performed by Eva Cassidy in obscurity prior to her untimely death. I don't recall when I first discovered her. The former BBC DJ Terry Wogan is owed a huge debt of thanks for bringing her work to us in the UK. Without that she might have been an unknown footnote in history.

Well today is an anniversary for me. Mum would have been 82 today had she lived. It is hard to believe that nearly 2 years have elapsed since she died. I'm older, greyer, fatter and probably have less hair. I always had such a difficult relationship with her but we made peace in the end through my first book. In 2 months we will mark the passing of her life. And again next year, and the year after. That is the fate of all of us who live this human life.

My life is not at its best at the moment. I'm still really struggling with this virus-the coughing actually made me sick yesterday. The timing is awful as I have my MSc presentation to do on Thursday and am currently stymied by my technical limitations. Yet still the coughing goes on. I will go and see a Doctor tomorrow and see what excuse they palm me of with this time.

Back to today and "Cosi fan Tutti" is playing away in my flat. There is a gammon joint to be roasted later. Other than that it is a day with no plans. Just staying in and reading. And memories of mum. Oh to feel better.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment