Wednesday 27 January 2016

That Didn't Amount to Much.

Some in the tabloid press had dubbed it "the storm of the century". The front that had demolished the Eastern Seaboard of the USA with an unprecedented deluge of snow was due to hit the UK yesterday. No snow was expected but gales and lashing rain. Well unless I missed something that was hardly a storm. Damp yes, windy a little, unpleasant certainly but as someone who vividly recalls the Great Storm in 1987 during my Oxbridge entrance year at Lancing very little happened.

That has been the mild backdrop to another few days down the line for me. I feel okay, I'm coping okay and maybe I'm headed back to normality. Changes are afoot but I predicted that. Whether I like those chances I have yet to form a judgement. But I am back.

Back in my kitchen too. Mixed results unfortunately. The Paneer Mutter tonight was disappointingly bland. I have higher hopes for the chicken stock that is quietly bubbling away on my hob. With Jayne visiting on Friday I'm still undecided if I will try a culinary masterpiece for her or take her out. Pay day is finally upon me after the long barren month of January. I will do a final assessment on the bank account damage tomorrow. Dory will if well visit to do some cleaning tomorrow, she is so much better at it than me. She has once again been struck down by the dreaded migraines yesterday and today but she is on the mend.

Despite the poverty circumstance has taken me out in recent days more than normal. As I mentioned we had our belated Christmas dinner on Friday and last night we went to the lovely Red Lion in Hatfield for James's leaving dinner. Pub grub, inexpensive but okay was on order, a rack of ribs for me. Someone in there was clearly struggling with her mental health and there was an incident in which said young lady injured herself and the riot squad were called. I had left at that point but as ever am saddened quite had cruel mental illness can be. I did not know her or her story but I know from the behaviour she is the sort of young woman neither the police nor mental health services want to touch. I have met many of them on my journey.

On Monday I must return to an inpatient unit for a meeting. Those days are often tough. But it is just another day, a day in many and I will take each as it comes. That way maybe I can better maintain my own mental health.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment