Thursday 21 January 2016

An Arab Touch.

When I began writing my blog back in 2010 the agony that is now Syria had not started. True the Middle East was in turmoil but the Arab Spring was not on anyone's mind and Syria seemed quiet to us over here.

My brief travels to the Middle East took me to Jordan in 1997. It was a life changing experience for me as I fought hard to emerge from a 7 years battle with mental illness. During my ill fated attempt to carve a career in teaching 3 years later I saw an advert for a job in Aleppo in Syria. At that point in my life it seemed most alluring. I had been struck by the "Arabness" and tribalism. Seem to contradict? Maybe, maybe not. I simply don't understand that part of the world. Yet as you all well know my means of culture, of understanding, of sharing and of togetherness is through my love of food and cooking.

Today after a not very long but very tiring day I resisted the overwhelming urge to avoid my kitchen and go out again and opened a book on the food of Lebanon, Syria and Jordan. I adapted it all a bit but lean strips of lamb fillet were marinaded in baharat, garlic, chilli, parsley, coriander and olive oil. These were then seared on a hot griddle and served on a Lebanese salad dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, mint and coriander. The result was stunning. Food can brings peace if only for a little while. That seems to have been forgotten as the world battles with the outcome of the turmoil and agony that engulfs that part of the world.

I am powerless to do anything about that. Today I also felt powerless in my little world. Seeing the tears of someone so low and being able to do nothing to assuage them. Did I do some good today? I don't know. Did I do the best I could? I think so. Tomorrow is another day.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment