Saturday 30 January 2016

Happy Faces Convene Again.

I first met Jayne on a cold winter night in The Bell Inn Hythe in December 1994. Sat by the fire a girl of stunning, smouldering beauty gave a off a vibe of do not come near me. As I got to know her we formed a bond built out of mental illness as both of us battled our demons. Despite some setbacks in our friendship we are now both older and hopefully wiser. We enjoy good food, good wine and good culture.

For the last 24 hours we reconvened this long and cherished friendship. I took her to the Fu Hoa for ribs and crispy duck, beef and lamb hotpot and more than a few Tsing Taos. Although not a patch on her local Chinese restaurant the Phoenix she loved it. Wine and beer followed in The Hedgehog then home to talk late into the night. I slept well despite being on the floor in the front room then we had a lovely lunch at The Waggoners. Such a civilised reunion. We both hope one day that I too will return to Cambridge and the two of us can meet more regularly. In the mean time we are hoping to go to see Don Giovanni in Cambridge in April.

Back alone in my flat I'm wondering what to do. I'm not very hungry-too big a lunch-so it may just be a sandwich. Then perhaps the final episode of Inspector Morse. With luck a gentle quiet Sunday will follow and I will be refreshed for next week's battles. See you tomorrow.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment