Tuesday 5 January 2016

Escaping the Mud.

After my unexpected mud and rain soaked trip to Kent I am back. The rain disappeared the further north west the train travelled. Back here in Hertfordshire it is quite nice. Home now trying to take in the last few months.

Illness, exhaustion, death, holidays, new year, it has been anything but quiet for me during that time. Sue's funeral went to plan. There was a fairly good turn out although perhaps not as many as I thought. A Catholic service is not too familiar to me and I was somewhat taken aback when the priest declared that only those free from sin could take communion...and only Catholics of course. Does a sinless person exist? Faith can be strange at times to the uneducated.

I discovered the other day that Izzi's funeral will be on the 15th. I remain stunned by her passing, we had planned to meet during the holiday. As I know none of her family, her partner or her friends I will not be in attendance. But I will be remembering on the day. Another mentally ill friend gone too young.

All will be over tomorrow. Work beckons although I'm still not yet certain what is expected of me during a phased return. There was talk of going to Occupational Health. A couple of years ago I would have relished their support. But those I knew are all gone and a new team is very unknown to me. Whatever happens the anxiety has not gone away.

Day 4 of the Test has just ended. Barring something strange a draw beckons. Of more importance the 1st black South African to score a century is being rightly lauded. Elsewhere in my sporting world my beloved Rams filed for relocation back to Los Angeles today. Having spent 50 years in that city before a bizarre move to St Louis in 1995 many hope they will go home. A storied team less talked of than others because of just 3 championships Los Angeles must be where they will go. Who knows about the chances of the Raiders and Chargers who have also filed to relocate. I await a result.

In the hours I have left before the return I'm not sure what to do. Some Beethoven perhaps? Or a film? Or Inspector Morse? I'm 2 episodes from the end of my journey through his history.

I Heard a Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment