Monday 11 January 2016

Ashes to Ashes.

I could not let today go by without mentioning the death of David Bowie. Media both social and mainstream is awash with tributes to this remarkably talented, elusive and chameleon man who has lit up the lives of so many including myself.

Miriam introduced me to David Bowie in 1983. Late in the day I know but his music accompanied so much of my life both before and after my madness. She took me to see him in 1989 when he said it was the last time he would play his old and great music. He never really kept that promise and the world is better for it. 1989, a year before my life went so drastically wrong.

I have spoken before of how music and words are woven into people's madness. The words from The Bewley Brothers "he's chameleon, comedian, Corinthian and caricature". I became a caricature during my madness. The words of All the Madmen from The Man Who Sold the World; they were the words that led me to seek out Izzi in person. And what madman cannot marvel at Rock and Roll Suicide?

My words are too little to describe a man who was a living legend for so long. And now like others before him including my other great hero Bob Marley he is gone. Some years ago driving a young student back to her car after a psychiatric assessment she asked me what music I liked. When I suggested I listened to a lot of David Bowie, Bob Marley and Pink Floyd she simply said "I've never heard of them". Maybe you have heard now.

I survived another day. Even avoided being chastised by my dentist. What will tomorrow bring? Who knows.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment