Sunday 16 August 2015

You Can't Run Away From Yourself.

Sunday is here again. Hard to believe that in exactly 2 weeks I will turn 46. There is a lovely Sunday lunch at The Waggoners planned for that day. As I sit at home writing my latest post La Boheme accompanies me along the way. A walk is in the offing after that.

My meeting with Sarah was a lot of fun. So much to catch up on over ribs and dim sum, cold beer and summer warmth. We did do the BP Exhibition and enjoyed it very much. She regaled me with stories of Thailand and her wild and sometimes out of control sister. She said something that really struck a chord with me "everyone in Thailand is running away from something". Words mirrored by the great Bob Marley "but you can't run away from yourself". Oh I recall those words during my battles with mental illness in the 1990s. I even have chapter in A Pillar of Impotence entitled "Itinerant Madness".

Wherever I go I cannot run away from who I am. Yes brief respite through social links, occasional overindulgence and travelling to different places. Yet wherever I go and with whom I cannot not be me. Should we embrace self with all its flaws? If we don't it can lead to dark places.

Today I'm not in a dark place. There are but a few days left until my break. Next evening I will spend with Ros eating Lebanese food. Then at the end of the week off to the Oval for the 5th Test. That will mark the start of my holiday-hooray!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment