Thursday 6 August 2015

I Chose the Wrong Day.

Cricketing lore suggests that a team cannot win a Test in a session but can lose it. Had anyone said in the first week of June as I headed off to Spain on my holiday that England would to all intents and purposes have won the Ashes by lunch time on the 1st day of the 4th Test at Trent Bridge I would have laughed openly. Yet here we stand on the first evening with the outcome all but assured.

I have watched Test match cricket for 40 years. As a 5 year old I witnessed the destruction of Lillee and Thomson in 1975. And who can forget Botham's Ashes in 1981. I recall the West Indies "Black Wash" in 1984 and in horror the slaughter of England in 1989 that led to so many years in the wilderness. But never a day like today. In fact no one has ever witnessed a day like today.

England bowled Australia out for 60 runs in less than 2 hours and the Ashes were decided. Stuart Broad took 8 wickets for 15 runs in 9.3 overs. It was the quickest 1st innings to a Test in history. Australia are now in tatters more than 200 behind on 1st innings and the 2nd day hasn't even started.

Nigel my brother in law saw the destruction of the Aussies at Cardiff. My friend Kevin the hammering at Edgebaston. And I saw us being murdered at Lord's. I certainly picked the wrong day to go. But there is another, for I will be there at the Oval on day 2. Come on England.

I am smiling after today. A little bit of interesting news just came my way too. Early days but at least my mood is still on the + side. That's a change after recent weeks.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment