Wednesday 5 August 2015

Listening to Callas.

Hi, I'm back. After the rocky road for possibly one night only there is no storm in my mind. I'm not anxious. I'm not frightened of what tomorrow will bring. My mood is in the + region for the first time in a while (at least on a work night). I'm home and relaxing.

I had a halloumi salad for supper, the salad was healthy if not the halloumi. The TV is off thank goodness and I have turned my mind once again to opera.

The truth about my love of opera is that I'm a complete novice who knows little about it. Yes I sang to the highest of levels in a former life but opera is something else. I always marvel when I hear the Queen of the Night ( it played in my car on the way home) in The Magic Flute. The complexity astounds me, the technique and breathing control. The power. I'm still learning.

Tonight I chose the von Karajan 1956 recording of Verdi's Il Trovatore. I've listened before but not taken enough time to notice. But I did today and realised for the first time that I was listening to the great Maria Callas. It is magnificent.

So I have stepped off the merry go round for one night. It feels so good. A little reading perhaps and then blot out tomorrow. That will come soon enough. Now I will immerse myself in sublime culture.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment