Tuesday 4 August 2015

The World Before E Mail.

Do any of you remember what the world was like before e mail was invented? Seems hard to imagine now. I came across it at a young age as an undergraduate at Cambridge. Yes we had a primitive internal form of it even back then in the 1980s. It was endorsed and used by those of a scientific persuasion but I was hardly one of them. My fear of technology goes back a long way.

Dad set up my first e mail account in about 2000. It was left unused for years but in time I began to embrace it. After some time his provider was swallowed up by a larger provider. It still worked though. I feared I would have to start all over again when he gave up on his provider and went elsewhere. But no they assured me it was free to use and would carry on.

The further march of time drew this old e mail account deeper into the present. Can any of us access anything without an e mail address? No of course not. All well and good until last week. Then it died. The support line at the company that took over the company referred me back to a company that no longer exists-useless! I have no access to my archive and am receiving no new e mails. Fortunately I was able to access and print off the contacts. But it meant starting again.

After a long and painful process I have a new account, all the addresses are loaded and e mails sent for change of address. Next problem is the bank, the university, Lancing, Selwyn, Cambridge....and on it goes. With much of this I have no idea where to start. Technology may be wonderful but only if it works.

The world seemed a much simpler place before all this happened. All this has increased my recent volatility and mood and anxiety continue to afflict me. So the struggles of recent days go on.

Time ticks and ticks, I have no idea where I'm going but it feels a very rocky road at the moment. On 21st I step off the bus for a while. At the risk of wishing my life away I can't wait.

I Heard a Voice.

1 comment: