Saturday 22 August 2015

Not Exactly a Talisman.

My original plan was to post yesterday under the title "A Better Class of Drunk". But events made me deviate. On blisteringly hot day I went to day 2 of the 5th Test at the Oval for what I hoped was England fighting back. You may recall that I attended day 2 of the 2nd Test at Lord's hoping for an England fight back. Am I a curse for England? A talisman gone wrong? On both occasions I was sat next 2 slightly upper class England supporters getting more and more pissed by the hour. On both occasions Australia piled on the runs. And on both occasions England's batting was blown away. As many of my friends have pointed out I really shouldn't go to the Test if I bring that much bad luck on the England team.

The reference to class reflects the splendour of Lord's. It really is so civilised even the drunks are polite. Do I dare go next year? Charlie and I already have plans to try to see Pakistan at Lord's.

My night was not good. Tense, anxious but ridiculous dreams woke me 3 times. I am turning into my mum. I was up at 10.30, unheard of on a holiday. Shopping is done, it was remarkably quiet. I had coffee and lunch with my friend and colleague James-he was very hungover. I'm now home on a sweltering day watching England trying to save the Test and contemplating Pimm's. It is a good job the Ashes are already won. No one expected 5 such uneven contests. It truth 2 utterly flawed teams have taken it in turn to be awful. Thank goodness Australia chose to do so at Cardiff in 1st Test.

I have mackerel planned for tonight then roast beef tomorrow. Finally managed to track down a Rioja I like that has not been in stock for weeks. The holidays are started.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment