Friday 1 August 2014

Sedate Nostalgia.

Whilst sat in the St Christopher Inn on Borough High Street this afternoon that it occurred to me that 20 years and 3 days have elapsed since I was last discharged from a psychiatric hospital. The pub, then known as the Grapes lies in the shadow of the unit I christened the Hotel California after the famous song by the Eagles. That line "you can check out any time you like but you can never leave" was so apt for the arrogant consultant who dismissed people with a wave of a hand and made sure they got no help elsewhere if he thought they were wrong. Yet in my case he was wrong. I did find a better shrink and I did find a medication that works. Readers of A Pillar of Impotence will recall that time.

That trip down memory lane on a sedate August afternoon followed our epic visit to Borough Market. By God did I spend some money. The giving up smoking is yielding financial dividends. Dory was on fine form as ever. To misquote C S Lewis "and came galumphing back". And I did galumph with a cool  bag laden with goodies. Free range chicken from Somerset, herbs and spices from Iran, Lebanon, Egypt, and Sri Lanka, fleur du sel from Brittany, organic English vegetables, cured meats and cheese from Spain, the finest Darjeeling tea from India, and blackberry jam from France. Dory braved the mighty ghost chilli although that will be going to her uncle. What a splendid day out.

Back in my flat the sedate pace continues with a beer, the Messiah, and a range of cook books. Must find ingenious ways of using such fine ingredients.

My holiday is coming to an end but it was worth it. I'm tired as the nightmares have started to creep back but not as often as before. Let's hope for more sleep tonight.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment