Thursday 31 July 2014

A Win at Last.

England have won a test match for the first time in eleven attempts-hurrah!!! I don't ever recall such abject ineptitude even in the dark days of the 1990s. It was pretty convincing too. I missed the end as I was out. Spot of lunch, checking out suits for the wedding, and fine pint of Doombar in the Waggoners. They've changed their lunch time menu and it is even more enticing-wish I had gone there.

Yet it was a not all a day of pleasure. Tedious cleaning including moving fridges and ovens-not much fun in this heat. But it needed to be done. Now time to relax.

I was intrigued to see that Time to Change have been searching for a young person willing to talk about depression whilst at school. I forwarded the link on to one of my students who I know would be outstanding at that. It is for a national newspaper. As usual they are only interested in young people. I really hope she is chosen although beating those odds of self aggrandizing people may be a tall order. My dealings with the organisation have been mixed, some good some bad. It would appear that if an individual fits their agenda help is forthcoming. If not of their agenda little comes the way of others.

Which all brings me to thought what has 7 or 8 years of the campaign achieved? A lot of celebrities jumped on the bandwagon. All good but hardly reflects most mentally ill people who are not and never will be stars. I've heard rumblings from quite senior mental health practitioners that not is as it seems. But I don't know. My original contact there Laura has long gone. I know one other there but I have never met him.

The question does yelling about 1 in 4 really help those with serious mental illness? I'm unclear how things are measured. There is a big difference between a problem and an illness. Is it semantics? I'm not sure. What I get to see in the main is the hard damaged end. I try to leave "problems" to others. Yet they still come to me. Do I give good advice? They seem to think so. So I see many I shouldn't. It keeps the stats looking good but this isn't about stats. It's about real people. and I can only work with those who seek me out. There are 100s I don't know. If they all came I would be overwhelmed. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

I will leave you on that note. Tomorrow is Borough Market with Dory; always good fun!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment