Tuesday 19 August 2014

The Chill of Autumn.

There is something incredibly uplifting and invigorating about listening to Carmina Burana early in the morning on the way to work. The first chills of autumn have arrived as the summer trickles to its end. It seems very early for such a chill to come but each year is different. In August 2007 I was desperately trying to find somewhere to live as the rain hammered down and my move to the university was imminent. It was all a different world then. Perhaps I am more hardened and cynical now than then.

I had things on my mind on the way, I wasn't happy but not angry. What seemed to face me was a bureaucratic nightmare that I thought had long been left behind. The first phone call of the day alleviated that somewhat and my path to re-enrollment on my course appears smoother than it did last night.

It is day of tidying things up. There are a couple of little tasks to do before I break at the end of the week. Then and only then can I count down to my traditional end of summer beginning of autumn break. Will I be refreshed when the mayhem begins again in earnest? I hope so. We go once again into the unknown. Change is teasing us with possibilities. But none of us know the outcomes. Change can be disconcerting. My friend Madeline said to me yesterday that I needed to do things differently if I want to make change to work for me. I will give that one some thought whilst I'm away.

On Sunday I will meet up with my old friend Ros for the first time in nearly 20 years. She recently learned that her nephews have a rare genetic disorder that will almost certainly shorten their lives. The poignant and sad story featured in the Guardian at the weekend. I share it here for you all.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/16/our-beautiful-sons-could-die-before-us

Hurrah, a link that works-had some assistance from my friend James.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment