Friday 18 April 2014

Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Ale, Sunshine and Progress!

From inauspicious beginnings today has turned out well. I woke up late and tired. I knew I had work to do but no motivation to do it. In those times though it is a must to power through the inertia, put on some great music and work. Get to 5.00 pm and the bulk of my assignment is done, I have listened to Cosi Fan Tutti, The Royal Firework Music, been to the Horns at Datchworth for an excellent pint of ale and enjoyed the sunshine. I'm now home, had tea, and am listening to Hadyn's Nelson Mass, it is sublime.

So I'm pleased with how it has gone. Only a little to do on PowerPoint and the referencing to do then I'm ready to hand in early. Can't believe it was that straightforward after all that stress. My programme lead told me back in the summer that I would not find it difficult. What she hadn't bargained for was more repeated ill health and the lack of confidence I have in my mind after so long away from studies. Someone once told me Cambridge wanted a fine and teachable mind. Whether I still have one is open to conjecture. It certainly doesn't feel like that when I grapple with this MSc. Maybe it is too many pills, pints and old age conspiring to limit a once fine mind, I don't know.

What I do know is that given what I have achieved today I will be able to enjoy my break as a holiday not an academic exercise. I have to the scope to stay an extra day in Kent and maybe even go to a special St George's Day lunch at the Horns  next week. That would be nice, an English flag for a tradition not hijacked by the fascists in the BNP and the EDL. God we would all be better off without such bigots but as I live in a democracy we have to tolerate such people in the name of freedom of speech.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment