Tuesday 22 April 2014

A Faustian Pact.

I'm back from my travels. The journey was trouble free, I shopped, I cooked and now it is time to blog and read. Originally I was just going to watch TV tonight. A dramatisation of Daphne Du Maurier's Jamaica Inn is playing on BBC 1 tonight. This is part 2 after a good first episode last night. Then fate intervened, it is an opera night of BBC 3.

So change of plan and Tuesday evening find me instead listening to Gounod's Faust. I'm not familiar with Gounod although I vaguely know the story of Faust selling his soul to the devil for a return to youth. Judging by what I have heard so far I assume he was contemporary of Jacques Offenbach whose music I love. Pleased so far with my choice.

Nearly 12 years have now passed since I sold my soul to the devil and started working in mental health. Yes that is how some judge my career. Others as noted before think I have wasted my life. Yet for good or ill that is what I do and I've done pretty well coming up from nothing. It hasn't brought back my youth though! Just need that next break now.

Tomorrow I aim to complete my MSc assignment. Just have to finish the PowerPoint and do the referencing. Should take a couple of hours. Then I'm free the rest of the week. I will go to London in Thursday to hear Lancing choir sing in Westminster Abbey; good to catch up with old friends. Friday I meet Dory then a final weekend before my return to work. So far so good. Until next time, I'm going back to my opera.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment