Monday 3 February 2014

An Ethnic Football Blow Out.

My old tutor in Cambridge Christopher Kelly used to described my chosen sport as ethnic football. In March 1991 the Varsity Bowl was won for the third year in a row by Oxford. Although I played in Varsity Bowls I, II, and III I was never victorious. That was the year I was president and my final agonised year at Cambridge stuttered to its finale that summer. Within 6 weeks I was locked up in the old asylum in Chartham near Canterbury.

23 years later I still retain my passion for ethnic football although I have not played since then. Each year I take a trip up to see Miriam to watch the Super Bowl with my brother in law Nigel. Last night we witnessed a blow out no one was expecting. I have felt all season that the Seattle Seahawks were the best team in the NFL. And by God did they show it last night.

My mind was cast back to the overthrow of 2 previous dominating and record setting offenses that foundered again devastating defense. That last year in Cambridge the New York Giants held off the Buffalo Bills by beating the hell out of them physically. The same is true of my beloved Rams losing to the New England Patriots in January 2002. Such has ever been the way, being physical will most often prevail. Now I face the long off season until it all starts again.

Over the years I have sometimes struggled mentally in February and March. This year I have been ill for the whole of January. The good news is I'm feeling much better. Still coughing though. My plan is to go back to work on Thursday. Let's hope there are no setbacks.

Until then I will continue to recuperate my strength. For now it is "Madame Butterfly" and "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". Might even open a beer. See you all soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment