Thursday 20 February 2014

An Interesting Launch

For the past 24 years I have lived among the mentally ill as one of them. I do what I do but I never changed sides. I champion their rights but sometimes, when the world is not all okay, they say and do things they regret. Yesterday was one of those days.

That aside, the launch was a triumph. I had about 50 people come and they seemed to rave about my talk. Sold some books, saw old friends, shared fun times and realised I still have my moments. I have a voice now and I'm good at using it. Learning that art took a long time. I was first tipped off to the need to do this by the late American historian Mark Kaplanoff who said early on, "I understand all that you say but until you stop ranting no one will listen to you". He was right. So now I use my voice judiciously.

Tomorrow the world moves on but I suspect yesterday will echo for some time.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment