Tuesday 31 July 2012

An Ending.

Thus endeth July. It has been record setting month for my blog. I have had almost a 100 more visitors this month than I've ever had before. I have put up more posts than ever before although I'm not sure if I have had more to say. It also marks the end of my academic year. This is my 5th, I find that hard to believe. When I moved I was hanging on to last vestiges of my 30s. I am now middle aged, have less hair and it is greying and I'm approaching my first birthday without my mum. It has been a most peculiar year.

For some I have changed their lives. Those who thought they would never get better until they met me. Sometimes at my best I have that power. Equally though there are those who met who walked away firmly believing I am full of shit. Fortunately the former usually outnumber the latter.

The price of cherries is rapidly rising and the oh so short lives of the beautiful dragonflies will soon be over. Are we going headlong towards autumn?

Today was a day of endings and moving on. I had a very nice lunch with a friend. I even loosened the shackles on my austerity measures and got £280 worth of clothes for £45-can anyone justify a rrp of £230 for a rugby shirt? I got a bargain for £25. I didn't cook today as I'm going away in a few days. I resorted to sausage and chips from the chip shop-why are their portions of chips so large? I then got my fix of Rick Stein eating octopus in Galicia. I have never been to Galicia but have eaten octopus many times. I used to frequent a small tapas restaurant in Canterbury where I used to drink cruzcampo beer and eat baby octopus. I took my friend Tom there once but he couldn't even look at the octopus let alone eat it.

Tomorrow I get down to sorting my stats for the year. On Thursday I am travelling to London to meet an old school friend I have not seen in 30 years. His life too has been blighted by mental illness so I guess we have a lot in common. Then on Friday I go to Kent to see my dad and go to 2 parties. Not something I do often now but if any of you get to read the new book when it comes out you will realise I was once a party animal.

What will next year bring? I don't know. In a month no doubt I will know the answer to whether I stay or go-I'm still waiting on the pay dispute. If I stay no doubt I will meet interesting people. And for some of those I will change their lives. So life goes on one way or another.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment