Wednesday 11 July 2012

How Will the Fates Conspire?

The Clash wrote a song in the late 1970s (I think) called "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" From what I recall it is about a relationship. But it implies there is a choice that is in the hands of the singer. Neither option is palatable but at least there is a choice.

Sometimes in life we do not control over our choices. By this time tomorrow I will know whether I will stay or seek to go from the university. Sadly it is not in my hands. For tomorrow I must face what the fates throw at me in my long running pay dispute.

I have to face a formal appeal tomorrow whose format I know not. I have laid out my case in a detailed letter so I guess I can just follow that. What the outcome will be is anyone's guess. I don't believe I have a hope of winning yet I can but try.

And so to the choice, stay or go. If things go in my favour I will stay. If they don't I will start looking in earnest elsewhere. But there is little out there.

There is a further consideration, my mood. By convincing myself I will fail I'm hoping to cushion the blow and limit the fall out. I have learned from bitter experience that that is a better way to be. Sometimes though my addled mind won't let me do that.

Whether I blog tomorrow I will decide when I get home.

I Heard a Voice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark. It was actually the Clash I think 'Should I stay or should I go?'Z x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected Zoe-must dig out my CD!

    I Heard a Voice.

    ReplyDelete