Wednesday 25 July 2012

The Cycle of Life.

It has been a glorious day today in Hertfordshire. Several times during breaks today I sat by the lake next to my office. It is perfectly clear at this time of year and ostensibly still. But looking closer there were scores of small ripples on the surface as the sun glinted off the water. It was alive with dragonflies. That is one of my favourite sights of the summer. Yet it is but a short time before they go.

Today made me think about the cycle of life. That of the dragonfly must be short being that I see them for barely a few weeks when the sun is at its most glorious in July. That along with the cherries. Dragonflies like all living organisms are designed to do only two things: to survive and to reproduce. That is all they are there for.

So why this comment on a blog devoted to madness? The link of course survival. We do not know why the mental ill have such high suicide rates. Some might say 20%. Yet isn't that the ultimate madness? We are designed to survive yet some choose not to. I know all about that and it is one of my greatest strengths as practitioner. I know because I was there.

When I worked for CMHT they kept banging on about boundaries and what was appropriate. What bullshit. When the shit hit the fan and people were wanting to die they called me in. I guess I had a purpose for them. I did of course blog in March on the tragic loss of one of my students. It goes with the territory however good we are at what we do.

But back to the summer. So nice that it has arrived in time for the Olympics. Let's hope it stays.

I Heard a Voice.

PS Just talked to my dad, he seems to think it is an excellent idea to have goose at Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment