Thursday 19 July 2012

An English Breakfast.

The English writer Somerset Maugham once said that "to eat well in England a man must eat breakfast 3 times a day". It is true that the English breakfast is most fine. I'm not sure of the exact quote as I lifted it from one of Rick Stein's programmes. Perhaps Maugham's comment does our culture a disservice but he had a point. It is one of our finest efforts although not very good for us.

I don't eat breakfast, let alone a fry up in the morning. All I can stomach is strong black coffee. I love fried breakfasts but usually for brunch. For all my culinary adventures I do return to the staples of bacon, eggs and whatever comes to hand.

Tonight that was all I had. But to make it extra special as I cooked it in goose fat. I get few readers from France but one of its greatest export comes from the use of good fat in Gascony. Cue red wine which is rumoured to be the reason heart disease rates there are the lowest in Europe. Today was the last of my goose fat.

Which reminds me, I wonder if I can persuade my dad to get a goose for Christmas? Not even sure of my plans yet but I would certainly like to try to replicate last year's glorious lunch.

Today has been a better day. The sun has come out and despite being shattered when I got up I have had more energy. It is relief from yesterday when a strange listlessness came over me in the evening and my mood slumped. I was telling my friend Karen today that there is distinction between depression and a depressive illness. Perhaps the most frustrating feelings of living with a life time mood disorder is that it can come back any time. I had no reason to have mood swing last night, it just happened.

Great to see so many readers this months, I think I am headed for my all time record month for views. Nice too to see my friend Zoe on here-she has been blogging far longer and more popularly than me for a long time. Welcome Zoe.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment