Sunday 15 July 2012

Country Pubs and Yorkshire Puddings.

It is a Sunday, the day I like to listen to music, read and cook a fine roast dinner. Well I listened to Handel's Saul, the recording I spent 5 days watching but was not allowed to sing in in the summer of 1979-believe me, all you would be music stars, recording in the main long, boring and tedious. I read the Sunday Times and generally had a quiet day. The beef is out coming up to room temperature and going in the oven about 6 pm. Yet today has been different.

Different in 2 ways. Firstly I went to country pub for a pint of IPA and very good it was too. It was something I used to do regularly but with my austerity measures still very much in place something I have not done for a while. If you are ever in Hertfordshire take some time to head for Tewin and go to the Rose and Crown.

When I got back I had tea then did what I had been dreading all day. Yes for the first time in my life I have made a Yorkshire pudding batter. I love Yorkshire puddings although being a purest I heartily disapprove of people eating them with anything other than roast beef. It is an area I pubs let us down on but it seems to be fashionable. The batter looks good but I'm not sure how it will turn out. I very much hope I have seasoned it better than I did with yesterdays tagine-that was most disappointing.

After I have consumed copious quantities of very rare beef-sorry I buggered it up last time I was down dad-I think I might watch a film. Tomorrow I have dubious pleasure of having decorators round-why do these people think you can drop everything to accommodate them? I wonder what next week will bring?

I Heard a Voice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, This is really just a test comment cause last time the b***** thing wouldn't let me post...Zoe X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray. I found a way...by going to 'Open ID' and basically signing up to Blogger. Otherwise it was telling me 'illegal URL'.

    Good to be able to catch up with you, and I can now google your blog title and it comes up straight away (cause I've lost your link in my annals so to speak).

    Nice to be able to read about your life. I love Yorkshire pud too though hardly ever make it and when I do it's a vegan version...can come out a little heavy.

    Like the sound of that country pub tho' I wouldn't know my IPA from my elbow not being a beer drinker...

    Those kind of pubs can be so nice even if you don't drink a drop of alcohol...Glad you're affording yourself a treat.

    Love Zoe X

    ReplyDelete