Friday 19 May 2017

The Orient is Back.

During my near decade in Hertfordshire I have always been able to buy a vast range of oriental ingredients in Hatfield where I work. In my time, well at least when I discovered them, there have been three different shops. My history with Far Eastern food goes ways back to the early 1980s when I visited Japan and Hong Kong and was mesmerised by the food of the latter. History does not record when I first cooked Chinese food but it must be at least 30 years ago.

With great sadness I learned in the last year that the remaining oriental supermarket...and given its size the name fits and probably contributed to its demise...had closed down. Finding myself short on supplies I had to trek down to London to replenish my stocks. That was until today when I found the rumour I heard was true and a new more compact store had opened. And it is great. I came home with a few staples but most importantly highly prized dried shrimps.

Tonight's culinary was amongst the finest I have ever done. A Thai yellow prawn curry that originated with David Thompson the greatest non Thai expert on Thai food in the world via Rick Stein and was quite simply superb. I do sometimes post pictures of my culinary triumphs and this one elicited comments that the photo looked like it was from a cook book. So very pleased.

The weekend is upon us and the sun finally appeared after three wet days. I made Pimm's and am now listening to Beethoven's Fidelio. I have been spoiled by opera this week. Back in my flat on my own for the first time in a month I must attend to domestic tedium tomorrow. That aside I relish the food, the wine, the books and the music that I have coming up.

May your weekend be as promising as mine appears to be. See you soon.

I Heard a Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment