Monday 29 February 2016

Humanity Restored.

Those who have followed the news in the last few years and British politics will know how divisive the issue of migration is. The last few months have seen a tidal wave of human misery pouring over the borders of Europe fleeing devastation in Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan as well as (if we believe the press) many in Africa fleeing poverty. Rarely does one see the human side of this tragedy.

Back home in my nice warm flat in leafy affluent Hertfordshire I lead a simple, self indulgent, at times decadent  but ultimately fairly safe life. For all I gripe on here that is a given. In my decadent self indulgence opera, reading and cooking play a big part especially on Sunday. And on most Sundays I like forward to the restaurant reviews of AA Gill. He can be arrogant, temperamental, acidic, acerbic, pretentious that sometimes it makes me cringe. What he does well is make a mockery of what my old English teacher called "piss elegant" restaurants. Pretension works both ways in the world of the food critic.

I was truly moved by the exerts I read from his memoir of his own alcoholism that was serialised a few weeks ago. But that was exceeded by his wondrous review of the food on offer in the refugee camp in Calais known to all as the Jungle. Humility, praise and sheer humanity as he recalled the day he spent with the most impoverished of people in the mud and squalor as ordinary people cook the most amazing food in the worst is situations. Human misery can spring out amazing stories.

Today the French police moved into and destroyed part of the Jungle. It will go down well with the right wingers of my native Kent and those campaigning on the European referendum which we are allowed to decide. Those refugees did not get to decide the fate of their lives. We do.

I sometimes feel ashamed of things I have done in my life. Yes it has been blighted by mental illness but I have never been on the street, in the mud and without food.

In my quiet world I'm listening to Beethoven's Triple Concerto and digesting another decadent food offering. AA Gill has reminded me how contented I should be with that world.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment