Wednesday 10 February 2016

My Lenten Tradition, Music for Ash Wednesday.

Given my love of both Mozart and Requiems I play his masterpiece relatively rarely. In my not very awake state when I got up I felt it was time to rectify that and listen again in the car. I chose the latest King's recording of 2011 released in 2013. I never performed Mozart's Requiem in my time of serious singing. Many years later with confidence and voice shot I sight read it in 2 hours to perform in King's-great fun but I really am no longer good enough.

The reason I say not very awake is that had I thought about it I would have realised it is Ash Wednesday and my tradition degrees on that day as we enter Lent I always listen to Allegri's Miserere. Not once but twice as I have both the famous Roy Goodman recording in English and our very good recording in Latin of 1983. Both are sublime.

Most will have picked up from here that I am not religious. Dad is and Miriam is but I walked away. I go for the music and there are few more atmospheric days to go to King's than on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday to hear the sublime that is Allegri's offering to the world and posterity.

I'm blogging unusually early for a week day. The reason is not another day of ill health but a dreaded and anxiety provoking trip to the dentist. All fine but a relief it is over. Home early I have decided to do a Greek roast chicken with potatoes, lemon and oregano. It smells wonderful. Will have a nice glass of chilled wine with that later.

But for now I glory in the music of Renaissance and relax on what has been a pretty good day.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment