Monday 19 January 2015

Remembering 3 Years On.

The last few years of my mum's life were marred by deteriorating mental health. By the time she died she had dementia, was depressed and overwhelmed by anxiety. Yet in those last few months there were rare glimpses of her in happier times. The occasion of the Kent launch of A Pillar of Impotence in November 2011 brought smiles to her face. I only saw her once more after that.

Exactly 3 years ago today mum turned 80. Her anxiety remained-not helped by some foolish GP telling her should possibly have a small glass of wine on her birthday unless she gave up taking a tiny dose of citalopram for a week either side. Sadly she didn't listen to my advice that she would be fine. But we had a lovely dinner out at Froggies at Timberbats and she smiled. Just over 2 months later she died.

As I reflect 3 years on it is so hard to believe how fast time has flown. Much of the time we didn't get on. But she still pops in my head at the most strange times. I want to talk to her. Of course I can't. But I remember her today, so happy birthday to mum who should have been 83 today.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment