Sunday 4 January 2015

Back to a Nobody

Hi all, yes slowly people are coming back. I'm still battling cold or chest infection or whatever this is. It is cold and foggy so not the greatest of days. Mozart is trying his best to brighten my day but with only limited success.

I was very interested yesterday to read the story below from the Cambridge News written by an old friend Emma about being a parent of a King's chorister:


Beautifully written it neglects to mention a couple of things. Firstly Emma attended the school in the late 1970s and 1980s with me. Secondly her father David was Deputy Head for some years. So a bit of a connected helping hand.

My fear, shared by another ex chorister, is how her son will adjust from star/superstar/famous to being just another kid when it is all over the in summer. That adjustment is very hard and in the euphoria that is King's choir a fact that is overlooked.

Our world of the choir was rather more fraught with danger back in those days. Today they have an even more ridiculous schedule but they are protected. Some days I think of my experience as being exploitation. On other it is part of my heritage. I was not famous but it was. Anonymous fame is a most odd experience.

32 years after I left I still live in obscurity. Famous only in my world. This blog does I suppose widen my circle in a very anonymous way as do my books. But I am content in obscurity. Let us hope young James finds the same next autumn when being a chorister will have passed into his past.

I Heard a Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment