Friday 21 June 2013

No Award for Me Again.

Those who have been reading since this time last year will recall that I was shortlisted for a Vice-Chancellor's Award as Employee of the Year. You may also recall I failed to win. That stunned many people but not me, I had no idea how it was judged. Today the Vice-Chancellor's Awards came round again. For the 2nd year in a row I was shortlisted for Employee of the Year. I did not expect to win and neither did anyone else. Everyone in the know knew the most deserving winner was my close friend Geri. I am asked to do some pretty difficult and unpleasant things at times. The difference between me and Geri is that she is the one who fields those calls and responds in the middle of the night. She does far more than me. Guess what, neither of us won! I am not disappointed for me but I certainly am for Geri.

Thinking about it though how can a judging panel differentiate from such a diverse staff group nominated? I don't envy them. I'm sure the man who won is amazing at his job and highly deserving. But how do you decide between those who at times make life and death decision from those who are brilliant at helping students complete the final projects? As I say I'm glad I was not on the panel.

I'm home now and exhausted. I have a Burmese curry ready but I can't even be bothered to cook rice to go with it. So it is salt and pepper ribs with extra chilli. Then a well deserved beer session.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment