Saturday 29 June 2013

Figaro, Jerome K Jerome, and Pimm's.

I'm in good company this afternoon. The cherry season is upon us, I've been paid and my cupboards are overflowing with fine produce. Shopping out of the way I have chosen the company of Figaro, Jerome K Jerome, and a glass of Pimm's. Civilised isn't it?

You may recall that Mozart is my normal Sunday afternoon jaunt but I decided on this warm humid day to go back there and just relax. It has been another long week. I came home exhausted; this is just too much for almost July. Why is it happening this year? Maybe the students are all staying on to avoid going home. So I have to look after them. But they can wait until Monday, it is my weekend for cooking.

In my kitchen I have 6 boiled eggs cooling. They will me curried later. My mum used to make a wonderful egg and prawn curry. It sounds an odd combination but it really works. These eggs will be in a coconut masala. One of the great triumph of yesterday's shopping expedition was getting coconut milk without bankrupting myself. For reasons I do not understand its cost has doubled in the last couple of years. The town where I work is ugly and unpleasant but the wonderful mix of cultures mainly down to our students means I can get all sorts of goodies at good prices. I came way with jaggary yesterday too, can't wait to try it.

Tomorrow it is roast chicken. I even bought a white Burgundy to go with it. It was on offer so I couldn't resist. For once I will not roast potatoes but rather boil some Jersey Royals, probably the finest potato on the planet. That will be worth it too.

So with my life so unsettled and my mind doing cartwheels I will stick to my relaxing Saturday afternoon and continue my venture into "3 Men in a Boat". And Mozart will be my partner.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment