Thursday 22 October 2015

The Soothsayer?

As a child I loved the French cartoon Asterix books. The story of Gaul warrior living in a village with his friend Obelix holding out against the mighty Roman empire thanks to the local Druid Getafix's magic potion. A later book in the series was entitled Asterix and the Soothsayer. The men who predicted the future examining the entrails of sacrificed animals.

I'm often to be heard saying to students that I cannot predict the future. But sometimes I can and I do not examine entrails to do so. And I'm usually right.

If you read yesterday's post you will recall I expected a Mental Health Act assessment. I've been around too long not to know what will happen. The frustrating thing is though that those that should know better chose not to trust my judgement. I called for the assessment this morning. I was passed from pillar to post, everyone passed the buck and then eventually sense prevailed and I was proved right. Shame it took another 5 hours for those with the real power to come to the same conclusion. Sadly it is often thus.

I do not like these days. Not just because I get home late, I'm worn out and slightly irritated that I'm not trusted. A young man may be deprived of his liberty for a while. That is a heavy burden to hold. Yet I know I had to make that call.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment