Wednesday 21 October 2015

It's the Way You Say It.

Talking to people does not need to be taxing. Even saying things people don't want to hear is manageable if done the right way. I suppose really my job is all about talking. What is there in mental health but talking and pills? I don't always get it right but do find it hard when others come across in a very rude way and or aggressive way that is completely unnecessary. That has happened to me twice in the last 2 days.

I had a valued opportunity to teach yesterday. Although I failed at teaching as a career I do sometimes get wheeled out at the University to impart my somewhat extensive knowledge of mental health. On this occasion it was a 3 hours-very long-session to clinical psychology doctorate students a group I've not worked with before. I was really pleased with how it went and most of them seemed to find it helpful. Then as I was leaving a overheard a somewhat sneering comment from one of the students dismissing me entirely. Curious thing is that had she mentioned it in the session I could have cleared up what was just a misunderstanding. But there you go, we can't please everyone. That said it is a little bit of a worry in this field. Left a bad taste.

This morning I had to guide an international student through the joys of the bus system to show her where to attend hospital appointments. She had never used a bus in England. I had never used that bus company or that route. Sadly the first bus driver erroneously gave me the wrong ticket. Not knowing any different I presented my return ticket on the bus back to be confronted by arrogant hostility and an implication that I was trying to defraud the bus company. The driver was equally aggressive and hostile to my anxious student. All it takes is a simple few words rather than hostility. Of course what the driver didn't know is that I know the managing director of the bus company personally. The question is do I send that e mail or put it down to experience?

On top of that there is a crisis brewing tomorrow that I suspect will at some point end in a Mental Health Act Assessment.

Yet to kinder things. The TV is off, opera is on and I'm delving further into Graham Greene. I'm enjoying The Quiet American more than I did Brighton Rock. Easier to read too. A little break before the chaos starts again tomorrow. See you then.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment