Monday 26 October 2015

Exalted Heights.

Ever been afraid of heights? For the last 20 years following an incident in Portsmouth in the days when I did not make the most sensible of choices heights have scared the hell out of me. Driving over the QEII bridge to see dad never ceases to trouble me. I can't lean over or look over balconies. Avid readers may recall my terrifying experience at the Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago.

So it was with some trepidation that I headed to Wembley Stadium to watch the Buffalo Bills play the Jacksonville Jaguars having been offered tickets from a friend of a friend. And of course the prophesy came true. We were right up in the heights of this vast 90,000 seat stadium. It troubled me but as it filled up my anxiety slowly dissipated and by about the end of the 1st quarter I was calm.

What a wonderful day. Jacksonville have played here each of the last 3 years and rumours circulate that at some date to be decided they will move to London on a permanent basis. Whilst the stadium was awash with a colours of all NFL teams the home crowd was rooting for the Jaguars. I'm told that has never happened before. And what a finish. Nigel and I had left at that point hoping to beat the crowds but it was another great NFL success over here. And my very first live real NFL game.

All that left me somewhat tired today. But in the main it was calm. We had a mini farmers market on campus today. Organic vegetables, cheese and pie stalls and our regular organic baker. It's really taking off. I left with potatoes-which are excellent-fennel and thyme. I hope it continues. And to add to my day I saw the splendid sight of a student wearing a Union Jack Hijab. I never expected that.

Of course I did not get through the day unscathed, stopped on my way out and anticipating problems tomorrow. But that is tomorrow. Here at home I had a beautiful lamb chop, said roast potatoes and vegetables with mint sauce and a small glass of Rioja. All very civilised. See you all again soon.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment