Tuesday 13 October 2015

Staying Detached.

As a young man I rarely spoke to anyone about important stuff. Young men didn't. For the whole of my first year of an as yet unnamed illness I struggled on in silence. I feared people would not take me seriously, that they'd say I was stressed. When I did talk after my breakdown they didn't take me seriously. It was not until I met my Buddhist friend that I began to talk and then it took a long time.

When I did start to talk I only wanted wise counsel. I had my own wise counsellors and they were rarely people paid to provide wise counsel. I still have many of them today, I just don't talk to them as often.

Last week I had the same wise counsel from 2 men I consider wise. Stay detached and it is only a job. But as I say to all my students it is easier to advise others than it is to advise ourselves. Coming home I'm struggling to heed that advice. I'm not sure I provided any wise counsel today. And I came home with it all running round my head. When will it stop? Must get back to learning to be me when I'm home.

So at home I consoled myself with a fiery Vietnamese beef salad which was very good and am looking forward to the cricket highlights. Not that there were many for England, all Pakistan today.

Tomorrow is another day, maybe I will do some good.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment