Thursday 3 September 2015

Transitions to the Future.

As I noted in my last post back to school is in full swing. Facebook is awash with photos of tiny children going for their first day at school, tearful mums and commiserations on how fast time flies. It was a long time ago that I went to school. Too long ago to remember. But I do recall the day in 1978 when I first went to Cambridge to board-I couldn't wait to get there. I was in for something of a shock a week or so later when the choir came back from touring Japan and I saw the fearsome violence of those seeking perfection in my first choir practice. Today children are protected, back then they were not.

My mind also turns to that strange limbo land of those about to go off to University for the first time and that extra few weeks of nothing. In the summer of 1988 I worked in a small factory. It was dull work but they were nice people, it got me out of the house and gave me some money. Come September I stopped working, did a trip to Sussex for our final weeks of nothing and prepared for Cambridge. Yes back I went.

Today's students also face that unknown. They still seem so young to me. They use words like mature a lot but know little of it's meaning-did any of us at that age? Then they take their scary transition steps into a world where they have more responsibility, more temptation and more people. Those who were brilliant in their previous worlds may not be now. They will get competitive. All the students I see will be seeking perfection and wanting to save the world. University is not always all it is cracked up to be.

They prepare and I seek comfort in my final 2 days of holiday. I'm listening to Peter Grimes, doing a little reading, contemplating the curry I will cook later and pleased that I have finally ordered a graduation photo for dad. I'm not bothered but I knew he would want a nice framed picture.

Tomorrow is another day, the final day. I had hoped to go to Borough Market with Dory having postponed last week but she has to work. I will have to find something else to do.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment