Wednesday 16 September 2015

Rainy Days and Stock Days.

It is properly autumnal out there today. The rain has been coming down all day although the gales promised have not reached here. I too remain under the weather and stayed home once again. Although I'm hungry I neither desire nor want to risk eating at this stage of proceedings. Might chance a sandwich later, I have just demolished the chicken carcass so that might suffice. Having had chicken it is now a stock day as it bubbles away furiously on my hob. Despite the delicious smell I still have no desire to eat.

I'm listening to the astonishing voice of Karen Carpenter to pass the time on this dull and ill day. What a voice and what a tragedy. When I meet students with eating disorders they always make me so nervous. The tragedy of losing a student to an eating disorder still hurts nearly 5 years on from then. I don't actually see very many of them and often the eating is a symptom of more complex personality type problems. Yes I remain sceptical of such a damning diagnosis but each year the number of students for whom that diagnosis is apt keeps rising. Last year they represented nearly 25% of my case load.

Why am I musing on work when I'm home unwell? I really should leave it for another day. With luck I will be sufficiently recovered to make that day tomorrow. Until then.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment