Monday 14 September 2015

An Elderly Man.

At this time every year a number of students ask if I will come to their graduation and to meet their mums. I never go to graduation hence my complete ignorance and anxiety about my own ceremony last week. I tend to shy away from people's families. A few demand to talk to me during the year but I'm not allowed to talk to them. In truth graduation is their day not mine.

Today though something slightly different happened. A student and her mum came in to see me. E is not from this country. Her culture as an indigenous person in her home country is alien to me. She has bipolar and in my small way I guess I helped her through. Her mum told me today that she didn't expect what E described as "an elderly man" would be able to help. How old does that make me feel? Actually it was quite funny and once again illustrated just how challenging young people find describing older people. No offence taken. Nice to have good chocolates too and I very much hope they both enjoyed her ceremony this evening.

It was good spending the day with Beka yesterday. It is some months since anyone came to stay and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the company. I do pretty well living alone most of the time. But change is good. We had some slow roast belly pork for supper and went to a nice country pub. Her meeting went well today.

Back to tonight my satellite dish is giving me grief. I have to unplug it from time to time and it does get temperamental. It should right itself though.

What will tomorrow bring? We will see.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment