Friday 31 May 2013

Morocco Comes to Hertfordshire.

The venture into the food of North Africa was a resounding success. The Arabs are so good at making simple salads and using the finest spices to flavour simple meats. For someone who has never been to North Africa I feel I should go. Yet maybe that world is fast disappearing with all the turmoil that is going on in the Arab countries. Will the world ever right itself? Hard to tell but then was the world ever really right?

Last night after my food preparation I found myself thinking and not in a good way. I have always believed that we only ever understand our lives when we look back a few years. I think I'm right but I had a horrible thought last night that my life was passing me by. The history is full of failing to seize the moment which I later regret.

Funny thing is I have not had any of those thoughts since I gave up smoking weed 6 years ago. I was never really prolific smoker but it helped when I was at my lowest ebb in 1994 when I was written off as untreatable. Then after a few years I saw myself as a caricature, an obscene joke of a failure. That was the drug talking. But I still wrestle with the concept of perfection and failure and vascillate between complete egotistical self confidence and utter contempt for myself. I didn't like those thoughts last night.

They will pass as the weekend comes. I will make Pimm's when I get home then who knows what. Tomorrow is going to be a good day.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment