Saturday 18 May 2013

Voice of a Somebody.

Some time ago, I'm not sure when, a young woman called Katharine posted a blog on the Time to Change website about living with depression. Whilst I have been unable to locate the original I have no doubt it was just as moving and inspirational as all the other Time to Change blogs. I have blogged for them a couple of times and like everyone else I was anonymised with just my first name. So why do I comment on Katharine's blog? Well this week on national TV a very moving interview with Katharine talking about depression was aired and provoked lavish praise. So why did Katharine achieve more than the rest of us ever could? Well she is a somebody. She is the daughter of the Archbishop of Canterbury. And that alone will have greater impact than the combined efforts of all the other guest bloggers.

On Wednesday Katharine Welby, complete with her full name, posted a 2nd blog:

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/blog/katherine-welby-my-experiences-of-talking-about-depression

I found it moving and brave and gives an essence of the extra pressure she now faces in the public eye that the unknowns like me do not. Good luck to her. I guess we all crave publicity but in the unlikely event I ever get any for my books I fear that scrutiny.

Talking of scrutiny, my last post provoked an immediate and unusually large response. Althuogh as usual no comments were made it was the highest daily number of hits I have ever had and also it was the most read post of all time. Funny what happens when I am controversial. I did go to my drinks party, in the main they are in the dark about the storm that one day will inevitably engulf that choir for those times.

After a long tiring week I have been resting, watching cricket, and cooking. I did a most splendid Thai belly pork curry that sadly was completely ruined by oversalting the rice. Why do I make such stupid errors? Tomorrow it is chicken. No Mozart, just day 4 of the test from Lord's, what a match it has been so far!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment