Thursday 30 May 2013

Insects Dancing On The Water.

Some years ago I read a very good book entitled "The Devil That Danced on the Water". It was a daughter's memoir of the war torn country of Sierra Leone. How did she get published? She is the daughter of a former president.

Today as I sat by the lake at my office my mind went back to that book. I did not see devils but small insects darting over the surface. Despite the cold and gloom summer is coming. I like it by the lake, it is my escape. It was yet another day. The quiet periods bore me but we have to take the rough and the smooth in life.

When I got home I set about cooking and preparing a feast. A colleague has her final day of this academic year tomorrow and they asked me to cater. Moroccan kebabs are searing away on my griddle pan as I type. The Palestinian kebabs flavoured with sumac and lime are cooling. There is a tomato and feta salad awaiting its dressing of olive oil and coriander, a carrot salad with orange and mint to be added, a cauliflower and olive salad in fine spices, and finally a cabbage, walnut and sultana salad. All will be dressed in the morning. So I will be useful tomorrow.

Then another weekend. It will be a very unusual weekend as for the first time I will be going out with people from work socially. Yes it has only taken 6 years! There was one lone exception, a wedding in my first year. Yet given who was coming they couldn't not invite me.

So until I'm back from a Soho marathon on Saturday I bid you all farewell.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment