Sunday 15 May 2016

A Country Church.

Greetings on a Sunday afternoon. You may be surprised to learn that thus far no opera has been heard in my flat. As I write West Ham are on for their final game of the season. A rolled breast of lamb seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary is slow roasting away and filling my place with wonderful aromas. Sunday, glorious Sunday.

By way of a change this afternoon I drove out to Welwyn village. Nice pint of splendidly named Glorious English ale in The White Hart then a wander round St Mary's church. In my youth I poured scorn on my friends who went "church spotting" as I called it. Now I appreciate churches as just as important to our culture and history as my beloved pubs that I write so often about. As I always do I sought out to see the commemoration of those who died in the two world wars. There seemed an inordinately high number of young men from Welwyn and Woolmer Green who lost their lives between 1914 and 1918. Come 1st July we will remember the century anniversary of the first day of the Battle of the Somme. Tragic that after these years we still fight in foolish ways.

And so to another week. Not long until a break. I feel in need although I remain in a good place mentally. See you all in the week.

I Heard a Voice.

PS The stuffed poussin was every bit as good as Faith had suggested!

No comments:

Post a Comment