Wednesday 10 December 2014

A Pause for Reflection.

A Christmas card arrived today from the eminent Classical scholar Christopher Kelly in Chicago. He was my ancient history tutor at Cambridge and he wildly overestimated my intellect and ability. He used to tell a story that I was the only tutee he taught ever who failed make predicted grades-I failed by 2 bands in Part 1. He flattered me really. The reason I mention him today is that this time last year his card included a delightful remark that my book had like all good books make him think. And that was precisely what I was doing last night.

Finally having my new DVD player up and running I have taken 2 evenings to watch films. I didn't warm to Grand Budapest Hotel that a friend had recommended. That was Saturday's offering. Last night I was far more entertained by The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. And God did that make me think.

The lesson is really that none of us are too old to change our lives and do pursue our dreams. The very wise Caroline Latham of Buddhist Healing fame once told me that "it is okay to mourn for yourself". Everyone goes through personal traumas and tragedies. It is the essence of being human. Yet society doesn't want us to talk about that and mourn our emotional loses. The advice was repeated in the film.

It also showed that we have to take a gamble to change. Being risk averse keeps us stuck. I spent so much of my life reflecting on what I didn't do or others didn't do that I lost almost a decade to mental illness. I now do what I do because of and despite mental illness.

In the end each of the characters got what they searched for. Even the character Graham who seeks to find love of his life before he dies.

Life should make us think more. Not on what we might have done as we are not judged on that. But more on what we might do to shape and mold our lives and those of others for the better. I am and will always be flawed; as all in the film were. Yet to live life flaws must not impede progress. How we define that progress can be hard. Do any of us understand our lives in the present? Only by looking back can I know who I was. I do not know myself until the fog of self delusion, fraud and flaw have cleared with the passing years.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment