Saturday 8 March 2014

Twice as Much Opera.

Only rarely do I write 2 posts on here in a day. But there has to be a follow on. The lamb was a huge triumph. Full and sated we had some fine Rioja and now I'm reading with a beer. Finer still though is that today emerged as double opera day.

Mozart's "Mitridate, Re Di Ponto" accompanied my studies and cooking this afternoon. Then I was delighted to discover that the radio had live opera on tonight too. So Handel's "Rodelinda" has accompanied our lamb and Rioja. Now on act III I'm enjoying opera in English that I can understand.

As a young undergraduate at Selwyn I sang for 2 years. Our director of music Andrew Jones or AVJ as he was known was an expert on Handel operas. Every time he had a sabbatical year he would uncover another forgotten piece.

Cambridge and its culture was wasted on me at that age. I've been surrounded by Cambridge culture from boyhood but I was too young to appreciate it. My consultant on London in 1994 once said to me that "everyone should go to Cambridge but only when thery're at least 40". That was a rare comment I agreed with.

Now in my 40s I have a lot of catching up to do. So it is beer, a fine cook book and Handel before my nightly trip to the pub. This weekend is getting better.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment