Wednesday 5 March 2014

Sackcloth and Ashes.

The Christian season of Lent began today as it is Ash Wednesday. It was one of my favourite days to sing back in the old days as we got the first of our twice yearly outings of Allegri's "Miserere" performed. In more recent years I have always attempted to listen to our good 1983 recording of the Allegri. Some say it is a worthy successor to the classic 1964 Roy Goodman recording which is widely regarded as they greatest ever recording on the piece.

Well after an evening where nothing went quite according to plan I managed to listen to both recordings. Still struggling to get used to it in English in 1964 recording. Actually I'm trying to rescue a bad evening by listening to Renaissance Masterpieces, a CD I picked up a year ago that has 2 pieces I recorded on it, the Allegri and Byrd's Five Part Mass. It is helping.

Not being religious I won't be giving anything up for lent and certainly won't just eat fish on a Friday as my dad and sister do. But I will look forward to that other performance on Good Friday. Truly one of the great services to go to at King's.

As for tonight I have abandoned my plan to study and will just immerse myself in my music. Tomorrow will be better!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment