Monday 10 March 2014

By Way of Something Different.

I don't often listen to trumpet music although I greatly admire it as an instrument. After more fruitless study-I really am going round in circles on Evidence Based Practice-and finding little to watch I decided to listen to music instead. Fancying a little more Haydn I perused my enormous box set and came up with the Trumpet Concertos. Later in the CD there are the Horn Concertos.

This is not the first time I'm mentioned trumpets on my blog. The day mum died my post was entitled "The Trumpet Shall Sound" from Handel's masterpiece "The Messiah". In fact I went on to use the same phrase as the title for the final chapter of "Charon's Ferry". Handel is very good in his use of the trumpet. This Haydn is pretty good too.

I went to King's with the trumpeter Mark Cumberland who went onto a distinguished career as a session musician. I lost touch with him for years, saw him once then there was another 11 year gap. It was at a funeral that we became re-acquainted. He no longer plays but still makes living in music.

On Saturday I will sing for the first time in 2 years. The Verdi Requiem for the King's Founders Day concert. Last time it was dad's birthday so I missed him. 11 days later my mum died. It is hard to believe that the 2nd anniversary is almost upon us. Fortunately this time I will see dad as he coming to the concert. I plan to go and visit him in Kent the following weekend. Not been this year yet.

Away from memories my improved cooking continues. Tonight was a fearsome Cambodian dish of stir fried chicken with ginger, chilli and coriander. Good stuff and my tongue was on fire afterwards.

Still not sure where I am mentally. Bit nothing really spurred on by my repeated academic failure on this module. Oh that I had someone to talk to rather than a faceless on line forum that takes hours to get back to people's queries. I'm not sure I approve of distance learning. For some reason they call it blended learning at our place. But I only need to get 50% to pass so there is always hope.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment