Wednesday 12 March 2014

Sublime Music.

After several days in which very little has gone right I came home today wanting to headbutt the wall. My fruitless battles with academic databases have been well documented both on here and Facebook. I came home to no heating or hot water since yesterday. I appeared utterly lost in my studies and had a day driving from pillar to post between meetings that people either turned up to on the wrong day or did not turn up at all. To say the least I was fuming. Yet I had to refocus-this assignment simply has to be gone.

Having used kettle boiled water to wash I then made a somewhat disappointing Nonya chicken curry-needed a hell of a lot more chilli. Cue another kettle to wash up. Then it was time work.

With a background of Mendelssohn on radio 3 I completed another fruitless search of another database. But it all add to my grid. I didn't even look at the radio guide for what was next. I simply let it play on.

Then my luck changed. A live concert from Belfast brought me not in Rodrigo's sublime Guitar Concerto but also Dvorak's "New World Symphony". The latter still plays.

I first heard the Rodrigo in about 1984 at school. A young and rather eccentric man in the year above me who had never picked up a guitar until he went to senior school played it in a concert. He went on to play for years. He was also an alcoholic with a flare for photography. I'm told in later life that that interest landed him in prison because of the age of the boys who were his muse. I have no idea where he is now but last I heard he was a fabulously wealthy film maker. It's a strange world.

It has been years since I heard a Rodrigo. It was worth it. I am now about half way through what I need to submit before Friday. The next 2 things are more straightforward. Thank God for that after such a trying few days.

Tomorrow I will wait in for the man to fix my boiler then spend the rest of the day interviewing students for our out of hours support team.

Feel somewhat better now. Not sure I have registered +1 on my scale but I hope it will by the time I submit. Then it is off to Cambridge to Jayne-hurrah!

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment