Thursday 31 October 2013

The Great Scandal.

The past few years have seen the political, media, and public official worlds rocked by scandal. The so called "phone hacking scandal" has burst back into the public eye with a major court case that opened this week. On trial are a range of journalists mainly from the now defunct News of the World newspaper accused on hacking the phones of public figures and members of the public of media interest and offering bribes to get news scoops. The most high profile of them are 2 former editors Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson. The latter brought it to the heart of political power by being appointed chief spin doctor to David Cameron before the coalition came to power in 2010. The former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott for whom I once indirectly worked has been talking about it for years. But it took the appalling hacking of the phone of a 13 year old girl murdered by a serial killer that exploded the whole thing. The offending newspaper closed down within a week.

I do not profess to understand such things but today's revelation that the 2 editors on trial had an affair for at least 6 years strikes me as supremely ironic. It is exactly the sort of behaviour that both sought to expose in their tabloid. There is a certain perverse feeling to that, that the world doesn't know. Of course all this has no bearing on my life. I am a nobody. What I do know is that were I a somebody my entire life would be known to the media in a matter of days. Let's hope I never become famous. But I do look forward to other trial revelations.

I spent the afternoon studying today. Made a lot of progress which makes me laugh about the changes that are in the offing in my life. Maybe I should have read change literature earlier. It will all come out in the wash no doubt; we learn more in 3 years time.

The backdrop to my afternoon of study was Offenbach followed by Paganini. A very civilised way to do it. Now as it is pay day I'm off to see Lin and Yan in the Fu Hao; it's been a while since I went there. So here is to ribs and Tsing Tao.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment