Wednesday 30 October 2013

A Young Voice.

The radio has moved on from Lully to Haydn this week. I've always loved Haydn since my singing days. Dad pulled off a master stroke last Christmas by securing his complete works on CD. But I'm still enjoying his story when I get home in the evening. Sadly today I had to come home early for a failed attempt to meet the heating engineer-my boiler is still struggling. He comes again on Friday.

Mentally I'm not sure what I feel. I survived the great storm. Lots of trees down but I was safe. It is a feeling of nothing. Not all is going to plan but much is out of my control.

There was however a saving grace. K, my student in California wrote a very poignant piece for the university magazine on her battles with depression. Much to my surprise she mentioned me by name and contrary to what I always felt she found it really helpful. She has done more to challenge stigma there in 1 piece than I have done in 6 years. The reality is young people don't want to listen to a middle aged not very successful Cambridge graduate unless they are in trouble. Mental health promotion is so hard but it takes a young voice to reach out to the young. I know K will read this from California so as I said in my e mail, well done.

Tomorrow I hope I will feel something other than cold. I will study then and try to make sense of my MSc. Unusually for me I have no expectation of the outcome; just getting through will do me. It is daunting in some ways but I felt better after meeting the other students last week. Maybe I will blog again tomorrow.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment