Sunday 6 October 2013

Beautiful Day, Ugly Lunch.

What a beautiful day. The sun is out, it is nice and warm, and there is no sign of any rain. A perfect autumn day. I have just got back from a post lunch walk. Such a glorious day to walk down the Digswell Road with the red, yellow and gold hues that make it look more like New England than Hertfordshire. All seems like it is well. There is a but though. Sadly lunch was awful.

Bland, tough, chewy lamb, insipid grey gravy, overcooked leeks, and undercooked sprouts; it really wasn't one of my better efforts. I had really been looking forward to that. Certainly the last time I buy that allegedly upmarket lamb from a well known supermarket that will remain nameless. The only saving grace was a fine glass of rioja from a budget supermarket-sometimes cheap can be great.

Back at home I'm listening to Billie Holiday and contemplating doing the washing up. I plan to make a shepherd's pie with the left over lamb, really must add a lot to it to make it taste at least of something. Yet despite the mixed fortune of the day my mind remains upbeat. With luck this time next week I will be the proud owner of the very first copy of "Charon's Ferry" to come off the press. Yes ladies and gentlemen, that time is nearly upon us.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment