Wednesday 18 April 2018

Something Contrasting.

That day it was wet, windy and cold. Today is bright, sunny and warm. Same date six years apart. This little island of ours is so unpredictable. As I looked out over Folkestone Harbour on this day in 2012 my mind was churning. The crowds had come out despite the cold and we could have filled the church even more had people not had busy lives and other commitments. But we were delighted anyway. It was the day of mum's funeral.

Looking back now I'm in a pretty good place. The mood is holding thank goodness. The coming of early summer however temporary it may be has lifted the spirits of many of us. And I'm not feeling guilty.

Mentally I am moving forward. Still waiting on Occupational Health, I have to look at the referral form after this to approve. A drive in the countryside was very good, stopping at The Horns for an hour then a glass of Pimm's in The Hedgehog. A few weeks ago I would have been wracked with guilt for doing so when others are standing in for me. But one of the things I need to do to get better is be kind to myself and what is wrong with going out for a while on a sunny day?

I will call dad later and Miriam. This day can be quite hard so hoping they are both okay. The trip to the opera is looming large on my forward horizon, something to look forward to.

After a few weeks of eating crap I have been headed in a slightly healthier direction the last couple of days. Pan fried lemon sole yesterday, a salad for lunch today and have a pair of fresh sardines to do tonight. Perfect summer menu.

Jayne had promised that we can try the new bistro in Histon when I go up there on Friday. It will be nice to head to Cambridge, not been since the autumn with Sarah. I never tire of Cambridge and my desire to go back still burns at times although I suspect if someone said here is a house to live in and I moved it would be pretty lonely for a while. We cannot always live on memories of past glories in towns we once knew. Day to day everywhere has its challenges particularly on wet afternoons in November with the wind howling and little to brighten the day.

A great challenge of life wherever we are is getting through those dull dog days when nothing is happening and the party seems long ago. Is that why we look forward to the weekend so much?

Rumour has it the sun and warmth will tarry for a few days. Hope you can get out to enjoy it.

I Heard a Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment